Table of Contents
How to Connect Rocky Linux 8 with Windows RDP Protocol: Easy Guide
Rocky Linux 8 is a popular open-source operating system that is widely used in servers and desktops. If you want to connect Rocky Linux 8 with Windows RDP (Remote Desktop Protocol), you can easily do it with some simple steps. In this article, we will show you how to connect Rocky Linux 8 with Windows RDP Protocol in an easy way.
Steps to Connect Rocky Linux 8 with Windows RDP Protocol
Follow the below steps to connect Rocky Linux 8 with Windows RDP Protocol:
- First, you need to install the xrdp package on Rocky Linux 8. You can install it by running the following command in the terminal:
- After installing the xrdp package, start the xrdp service by running the following command:
- Next, enable the xrdp service to start automatically at boot time by running the following command:
- Now, you need to open the RDP port (3389) on your firewall. You can do it by running the following command:
- After opening the RDP port, reload the firewall by running the following command:
- Finally, connect to Rocky Linux 8 using the Windows Remote Desktop Connection tool. Enter the IP address or hostname of the Rocky Linux 8 machine and click on Connect.
sudo dnf install xrdp
sudo systemctl start xrdp
sudo systemctl enable xrdp
sudo firewall-cmd –add-port=3389/tcp –permanent
sudo firewall-cmd –reload
Features of Rocky Linux 8
Rocky Linux 8 is a free and open-source operating system that is based on Red Hat Enterprise Linux. It comes with several features, including:
- Stability and reliability
- Security and compliance
- Scalability and performance
- Flexibility and customization
- Easy to use and manage
Pros and Cons of Rocky Linux 8
Here are some pros and cons of Rocky Linux 8:
- Free and open-source
- Stable and reliable
- Secure and compliant
- Scalable and performant
- Flexible and customizable
- Good community support
- Not as widely used as other Linux distributions
- May have compatibility issues with some software
- Requires some technical knowledge to set up and manage
What is Windows RDP Protocol?
Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) is a proprietary protocol developed by Microsoft that allows users to connect to a remote computer over a network connection. It provides a graphical interface for remote access and control of a Windows-based computer. RDP is widely used in businesses and organizations for remote administration, technical support, and remote work.
|Feature||Rocky Linux 8||Windows RDP|
Q. Can I use RDP to connect to Rocky Linux 8 from a Mac?
A. Yes, you can use the Microsoft Remote Desktop app for Mac to connect to Rocky Linux 8 using RDP.
Q. Is RDP secure?
A. RDP is generally considered secure, but it can be vulnerable to attacks if not properly configured. It is recommended to use strong passwords, enable Network Level Authentication (NLA), and keep your RDP client and server up to date with security patches.
Q. Can I use RDP to connect to a Linux desktop from a Windows machine?
A. Yes, you can use RDP to connect to a Linux desktop from a Windows machine if you have installed an RDP server on the Linux machine.
Connecting Rocky Linux 8 with Windows RDP Protocol is a straightforward process that can be done in a few simple steps. By following the steps mentioned in this article, you can easily connect to Rocky Linux 8 from a Windows machine using RDP. Rocky Linux 8 is a stable, reliable, and secure operating system that is ideal for servers and desktops, and RDP is a widely used protocol for remote access and control of Windows-based computers.